Tuesday 4 March 2014

Waiting Room

The tension in the room builds as we hear the footsteps coming closer and closer down the hall. With each click his steps make, I become more aware that I'll have to face reality. A tall slim figure in a long, white coat appears, although I seem to be the only one aware. His rough cough shatters the deafening silence and suddenly everybody's eyes are pinned to him. My dad approaches the doctor with a fear I have never seen in him before. The glisten in his eyes is heartbreaking. He’s trying so hard to keep a brave face, because if he loses his cool, the rest of us will. As I'm looking around the room I can't help but feel trapped. It's as if I'm being surrounded by a mass of options and results. Suffocated by my thoughts I snap back into reality. My chest feels hollow and finding my breath again is proven difficult. Feelings of nausea and dizziness cast over me. I need to sit back down; although as soon as I do my dad summons me towards the doctor and himself. Light headed and pale faced, they ask if I’m alright. Not wanting to cause a scene, I lie. I know today, right now, is all about my mom. I clench my lips between my teeth and listen quietly for the results. I can’t focus on what he’s saying, but watching my father’s eyes dwell with tears and a smile cover his face, I can tell the news is good. “She’s going to be okay.” Suddenly everything I was feeling diminishes and all I feel is relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment